April quilting finishes

First up, finished the black and blue quilt that’s been languishing on my UFO list since 2013 or 2014:

This had been a pattern from a magazine and was to have been done for use in my old jam space as I mentioned here.

So that’s a big weight off, getting that done. Something that hadn’t laid around quite so long was this bee block, done in a workshop at Kaleidoscope Quilt Company back in October:

(background painted with watered down acrylic paints, improv pieced applique, and the silver wings are from a material one of the other participants had, I think it’s called angelina or angelique or something like that).

I figured I’d start a sort of improvised wonky log cabin block around it, and then square it up afterwards, so at the end of the first evening this is what I had:

The next day I had time to quilt it and pretty much did that on the fly without a plan as well, starting with outlining the bee and the wings, then echo quilting around it, then doing some stitch in the ditch in most of the yellow or brown bits. Then for the flowers I had the idea to do free-motion quilting to outline the flowers, then I thought I’d stitch a honeycomb pattern in the big yellow area, then I had the idea to add a few thread-painted bees in each quadrant and I stitched those.

Then I semi-randomly pieced binding strips from left over scraps and here’s how it all turned out:

Details: top of this post and also below:

Next up, I’d taken a “Landscape 3 Ways” workshop at Kaleidoscope, and since I’ve already done raw edge applique, I focussed on learning curved piecing along with doing a painted landscape (watered down acrylic paints on cotton and then free-motion quilted).

The curved piecing landscape is still a work in progress, but I got the painted landscape finished and bound:

Aside from these, I did finish a little journal quilt monthly journal quilt, the first in a series inspired by a book I found at a thrift store detailing a big collection of such projects spearheaded by a website that appears to now be defunct.

I figured I’d make mine 12×12″ ie album cover size, but that’s all I’m explaining about this one, lol:

I’m also working on a slice and insert quilt to cover my headboard, but that’s not exactly finished.

Related Posts